For more information about Court locations, click the Find a Court page. To get court information for the Weld County Court, Logan County Court, or Morgan County Court, follow the links.

General Court Information: Weld County Court

The Difference Between District and County Courts

There are many differences between district and county courts. The district court is authorized to handle felony cases, domestic relations, mental health, juvenile, probate, and large civil cases. The county court is authorized to deal with misdemeanor cases, the early portions of felony cases (such as preliminary hearings, bond setting, and dispositional conferences), traffic infractions, and small civil cases.

Bail and Bond

When someone is arrested in Greeley, Evans, or Erie, a bail – bond / bond is set. This is the amount which is required to pay for an inmate’s release from jail. This can be paid using cash, property, or with a bail bondsman (surety) providing the money for a fee. Posting bond allows the court to ensure the person will return to appear for court (and get their bond money back after their case is closed).


The probation department is located within the court. Probation department employees work for the state judicial department. This means their loyalty lies with the court – not you. Probation revocation hearings are handled by District Attorneys, with the help of probation officers.

Jury vs. Judge Trials

One question we hear often is whether it is better to have a jury or judge trial in Weld, Morgan, and Logan County. There is a lot to keep in mind in your criminal case. It is important to realize when you choose a jury trial, there will be a large number of independent people deciding your fate – if you have a judge (also called a court or bench) trial, only one person will make the final decision about your guilt or innocence (which is easier for the DA). This is just one of many things to keep in mind. Read our full page on choosing a jury or a judge for your criminal case.

Deregistration as a Sex Offender

If you are a convicted sex offender, you may be able to deregister and stop registering. Certain sex offenses in Colorado permit adult and juvenile offenders to deregister as a sex offender – C.R.S. 16-22-113. Each situation is different, but after a certain amount of time (which depends on the original sex offense) a person may be able to petition the court to deregister. It is important to understand you cannot simply stop registering once the allotted time has passed – you must petition a judge in district court to discontinue registration. If you are interested in discontinuing your registration, contact one of our lawyers – we have over 20 years of experience in this complicated area of law.

Record Sealing

If you have a criminal record, you know it is damaging to your life. You may have a hard time getting a job or finding a good place to live. Certain people in Colorado may be eligible to have their criminal records sealed. In some cases, any record of your conviction or arrest can be erased completely. Some provisions of the law make it illegal for an employer to ask about your sealed record. The Weld, Morgan, and Logan County District Courts have the authority to seal some county court, district court, and municipal (city) criminal cases.


Contact an experienced criminal defense attorney from the O’Malley Law Office at 970-616-6009, or submit the “Get Help Now” form. 

Together, we can protect your future.

Get Help Now!