What is Cruelty to Animals in Weld County?
To put it simply, if you knowingly or recklessly commit any of the following actions in Greeley, Windsor or Erie, you will be charged with Cruelty to Animals in Weld County:
- Overdrive or overwork an animal
- Torment an animal
- Deprive an animal of food and water or anything which is necessary for life
- Keep an animal in a place where they sustain chronic or repeated physical harm
- Transport or confine an animal in or on ay vehicles in a cruel or reckless way
- Engage in a sexual act with an animal
- If you are charge of an animal and you fail to feed, house or offer it protection from the weather
- Abandon an animal intentional
- Torture an animal
- Needlessly kill an animal
Animal Cruelty Definition
Cruelty to Animals - C.R.S. 18-9-201 - in Weld County and Greeley is charged when a person:
What is the Sentence for Animal Abuse in Weld County?
Animal Cruelty is charged as a Class 2 misdemeanor, but under more aggravated circumstances (Aggravated Cruelty to Animals – C.R.S. 18-9-202), it can be charged as a Class 6 or Class 5 felony. Having a trustworthy defense attorney by your side is vital when combating these charges.
Class 3 Misdemeanor Sentence:
- $250 to $1,000 fine
- 3 months to 12 months in a county jail
Class 5 or 6 Felony Sentence:
- $1,000 to $100,000 fine
- 1 to 3 years in the Colorado Department of Corrections
Why Do I Need a Weld County Cruelty to Animals Defense Lawyer?
What this means to someone in Weld, Logan and Morgan County is that they may be charged with Cruelty to Animals if they leave a pet in a car on a hot day. If animal control officers feel that a pet isn't fed properly, they could accuse you of Animal Cruelty as well. It is important to be aware that the Animal Control Officers who might investigate charges of Animal Cruelty should not be allowed in your home or on your property. Do not give any type of statement to them. If you have been contacted by the police or Animal Control Officers regarding a charge of Cruelty to Animals in Weld County contact on of our experienced defense attorneys.